Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I'm feeling nuclear - Final Collage CGA

 

        I chose this nuclear/solar like theme for my collage because I like how the look of the sun and other nuclear objects look in contrast to a dark sky.  The images give me a certain satisfaction and sense of awe.  
        In my collage I used many of the principles of design that help an image become better than if they were not used.  I made my collage asymmetrical but I did not skew the unity of the image.  There is a lot of emphasis on the image of myself because of its large size compared to all the other images.  I gave most of the images implied texture to help blend with the background better with many different tools.  There is a lot of contrast in the image, with the background being dark and the images on top of it having sharp colors that are further emphasized by the dark background.
        I used many tools in my collage to created different feels to the images.  One of the tools I used the most was the smudge tool.  This helped take away the boring circular shape of the images and it made it seem as if the suns were flaring and the images stand out from the background.  I used the levels adjustment layer and the curves adjustment layer to create sharper highlights and edit the midtones of the images.  I used color balance to create contrast between the images and the background.  I used many different effects for the images which include inner shadown, bevel and emboss, color overlay, and more.  I used techniques similar to our pug in the park exercise where I took the magnet lasso and went around the part of the image I wanted.
        Some ways I could have enhanced the effectiveness of the image was if I used symmetry so that the image seemed proportional.  I could have used more rhythm and pattern in the image to give a more dramatic feel to the collage.  My knowledge so far with Adobe Photoshop CS5 is limited but I hope to be able to learn how to use different aspects of it to make my future collages better.
        

2 comments:

  1. The subject of the work is the sun and nuclear objects. The work conveys a feeling of awe and power. The work shows the artist’s sense of awe at nuclear phenomena. This shows the artist’s interests about the world. It also has a sense of humor, as the picture of the nuclear explosion in a “V” sign shows. The artist probably created this work because he found these images appealing and wanted to show his appreciation of them.

    My feelings about the artwork not changed since my first impression. Although there are some elements in the composition that are not clear upon first inspection, the work in general can be taken in with one viewing. The most successful part of the artwork is the background, which is appealing and appropriate for the subject. Some parts of the artwork that would benefit are the actual photos used in the work. While most of the photos are appropriate, the photo of the nuclear sign looks out of place and does not fit in with the rest of the image. One of the techniques I would use is the smudge tool to blend the photos with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Name of Artist: Stephen Wong
    Title of Work: “I’m feeling nuclear- Final collage CGA”
    Location: http://stephenw0dvhscga.blogspot.com
    The image is asymmetrical with images scattered in all places of the collage. There is emphasis with the varying sizes of each picture. Pictures have implied texture to help blend with the background. There is a combination of light and dark colors as well.
    The blur tool was used to enhance the edges of most pictures. The hue and contrast sliders were used that made the picture stand out with the high intensities of colors. I am interested in the smudge tool the artist used frequently because it made the collage more creative. The main theme of this collage is about the universe and nuclear objects in the depths of space. My immediate impression of the collage was the high contrast images that empowered the overall picture to stand out.

    Elements of art such as the organic shapes, warm and cool colors, and curved lines of the images are evident in the collage. I am most fascinated by the unique textures of the images that were made possible with the blur and smudge tools that made the images, like the nuclear symbol, more dimensional. There is a dark value and forms in this piece are transformed and asymmetrical. I noticed the artists’ choice of smudge and blur tools and the unique edges and shapes grabbed my attention. There is a repetition of a fiery effect throughout the collage and curvy lines. A main point of emphasis, or positive space, is focused on the specific main image of the collage, the artist, in its asymmetrical position. Images of the sun, space, nuclear objects, and a picture of Stephen all blend in together to represent his main theme of space.

    ReplyDelete